Welcome Cabin and Gift Shop
Erected in the Village in 1991, the cabin combines the best logs from two Jefferson County cabins, --- the Correll Cabin (1880 Rome Township) and the Etheridge Cabin (1898 Mt. Vernon Township, Hosea Etheridge).
Cook stove Collection
Moved to the Village intact in 1991, the Koy Cabin was owned by August Koy, Casner Township, 1889.
It houses a collection of cooking stoves from the late 19th century through the early 20th century
This 1865 cabin owned by Thomas Clifton in Mt. Vernon Township; moved to the village in 1991.
East Hickory Hill School
Originally located west of Bluford, the 1919 school was moved to the Village intact.
The former Mt. Vernon jail was donated to the Jefferson County Historical Society in the 1980's and was moved to village. The 1820 structure was originally located at 11th and Main Streets at the present Fire Department's location.
Mt. Olive Church
Mt. Olive Church
Built by John and Howard Gentle (1873), the church was located southeast of Bluford, Illinois and was moved to the Village ca. 1992.
Mt. Vernon resident Bill Steffy constructed this replica of the Thomas Atkins Blacksmith Shop in 1993. The former Atkins Blacksmith Shop was located in Waltonville, Illinois. Many of the contents of the Blacksmith Shop are from the Thomas Atkins Shop.
The shop is also the home of the Illinois Valley Blacksmith Association, which meets here on the 2nd Saturday of each month. For further information contact our office.
Jeffersonian Print Shop
This operating print shop, erected on the grounds in 1991, houses presses, type and other equipment used from the mid-19th century until the 1950's, or in some shops until the present.
The General Store is a replica of a store operated by James T. Johnson in east Mt. Vernon in the 1920's. It was purchased from local historian Tom Puckett and was moved to the village. Johnson was Puckett's great-grandfather.
The building was constructed of the best logs salvaged from two cabins donated by the Hays and Marteeny families of Jefferson County.
Schweinfurth Museum and Interpretative Center
Constructed in 1995 with funds donated by Carl Lincoln Schweinfurth, the museum houses the Historical Society's collections and memorabilia.